This easy homemade ice cream is made in a machine with no eggs, so it's simple and quick to put together. The traditional, old fashioned, no cook recipe makes vanilla, but I've included other flavors in the notes below.
Originally published on June 12, 2009, this easy homemade ice cream recipe has delighted my family for more than ten years. Because it has no eggs, it doesn't need to be cooked at all before freezing, and I have no worries about giving my kids raw eggs.
Do you know what Philadelphia-style ice cream means? It's easy. Philadelphia style ice cream has no eggs and requires no cooking. It's most simply cream and sugar with flavorings added. This is different from custard style ice cream, which is cooked slowly and contains eggs. It's a much heartier ice cream, but requires considerably more work.
How to make easy homemade ice cream with no eggs
- Freeze the tub of your ice cream machine. An ice cream machine is essential to this recipe. You could make homemade ice cream in baggies, but that is pretty labor intensive and doesn't make much at once.
- Prepare the ice cream mixture. Mix heavy cream, whole milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to overnight (or longer, really).
- Make the ice cream. Prepare your machine according to the instructions, pour in the mixture, and watch it work!
Try these other sweet treats while you're here:
- How to Make Oreo Ice Cream Popsicles
- Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Pie
- No Churn Cheesecake Ice Cream
- How to Make Homemade Root Beer Float Ice Cream
- Homemade Root Beer Float Popsicles
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Popsicles
- Homemade Sweet Tea Peach Popsicles