This recipe shows you how to make the best chicken burritos ever! Stuffed with shredded Mexican chicken, BBQ sauce, rice, cheese, feta, Greek yogurt or sour cream, and salsa, these are so delicious and make the best lunch and dinners! Could use a low carb or gluten-free tortilla or serve the filling over lettuce in a bowl.
These burritos are like the pinnacle of food for Joe and me. They're stuffed with everything imaginable - shredded chicken, couscous or rice, black beans, corn, Mexican blend cheese, salsa, Greek yogurt or sour cream, and feta cheese.
Sure, fancier food is nice, but these burritos are something we could eat day in and day out, all the time. We love them.
They're the pinnacle of food for us because they're like the burritos we get at a local restaurant called Neato Burrito.
I've written about Neato Burrito before as we've tried on several occasions to recreate their yumminess at home (partly because their burritos are HUGE and we need a little portion control around here).
What you need to make chicken burritos (and the secret ingredient!)
- Olive oil
- Chopped onion - Onion makes everything taste better, but if you hate onion, you can skip it.
- Boneless chicken tenders, cooked and shredded
- Black beans, drained but not rinsed
- Frozen corn, thawed
- 4 burrito-sized tortillas
- 1 package couscous or rice, prepared according to package directions - We used to always rice because that's what Neato uses. But then we tried couscous and loved that even better. You can even leave the carbs out all together and still have a great burrito.
- BBQ sauce - My favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's, but use whatever you like.
- Mexican blend cheese - You can use almost any cheese for these burritos. Neato uses plain cheddar. I use a Mexican blend if I have it in the fridge, but if I don't, I go for sharp cheddar.
- Salsa verde - I like salsa verde, but I don't have a favorite brand. I just buy whatever.
- Regular salsa - You can use whatever you like, but my current favorite is Newman's Own pineapple salsa.
- Low fat Greek yogurt or sour cream - We have switched over 100% from sour cream to Greek yogurt for several reasons. First, I am lactose intolerant, and Greek yogurt has less lactose than sour cream (Don't ask questions; I do not understand this.). But we had already stopped using sour cream before that revelation because Greek yogurt has significantly more protein and less fat - and tastes exactly the same as sour cream. I buy the 0% fat Greek yogurt, and no one has ever complained. They even use it to make French Onion Dip for chips, and still no complaints.
- Crumbled feta cheese - This is the SECRET INGREDIENT! Whoever would have thought that you should put Greek cheese in a Mexican burrito? I didn't, until I had Neato's jalapeño feta salsa which is basically jalapeños, feta, and sour cream all mixed together with other awesomeness that they keep secret. Because I can't actually make their salsa at home, I do the next best thing - add a handful of feta to my burritos. And it makes them AMAZING.
How to make easy chicken burritos
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion until it is beginning to soften. Add the shredded chicken, black beans, and corn. Continue to sauté until the mixture is evenly heated.
- Place a tortilla on your working surface.
- Spread ⅓ cup of couscous/rice over the center of the tortilla.
- Top with a generous squirt of BBQ sauce (about 2 tablespoons).
- Top with ½ cup of chicken mixture.
- Add a generous ½ cup of shredded cheese. You could microwave the burrito now for 20-30 seconds if you wanted to melt the cheese.
- Spoon salsa verde and regular salsa over the cheese.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons of feta over the salsa.
- Roll the burrito and grill it in an electric grill or under a panini press for 3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.