Our favorite broccoli salad recipe is a mix of broccoli, bacon, cheddar cheese, walnuts, and golden raisins topped with a creamy and sweet mayonnaise yogurt dressing. It's the best easy and healthy summer BBQ side dish!
I love broccoli.
I love it raw, baked, drenched in cheese, and splashed with balsamic vinegar.
I've never met a broccoli dish I didn't like.
When Joe and I were thinking about adding a vegetable dish to our beloved Thanksgiving feast, we both thought of broccoli, but neither of us had a recipe in mind.
Suddenly, it was the night before our feast, and we still hadn't decided on a recipe.
I took matters into my own hands. I was glad to have a couple of bags of pre-cut broccoli and used them to make my favorite cold broccoli salad.
My broccoli salad was the biggest hit of the meal. There were only 3 or 4 little broccoli pieces left over, not even a small bowlful.
I was sad about that. I wanted to have it for breakfast the next day. There wasn't enough left over even for breakfast.
This recipe came out so well that I made it again for our second Thanksgiving feast with Old Grandma, and this time, I doubled the recipe. It lasted a little longer, but not much.
How to make our favorite broccoli salad
- Cook bacon over medium high heat. Drain it well and pat dry to remove as much of the grease as possible. Crumble the dried bacon and set it aside.
- Pour broccoli into a large mixing bowl. Add to it a large handful of golden raisins (my sister says that's a cup but I think it's more than that) and a large handful of walnuts. Add the crumbled bacon and two big handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, garlic, sugar, and mayo. Pour the dressing over the broccoli and toss it well. Make sure it's all blended and well-coated.
- Refrigerate the salad for a couple of hours to overnight to let the flavors blend.
Here are a few more side dishes that you might like:
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- How to Make the Best Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Oven Roasted Red Beets with Low Carb Balsamic Glaze and Feta Cheese