Buffalo chicken dip is the perfect easy appetizer to take to any potluck or party! This buffalo chicken dip recipe is simple, quick, and easy with only 5 ingredients and can be made in the microwave, oven, Instant Pot, or slow cooker! All of your favorite buffalo chicken wings flavors but in an easy to eat cheesy chicken dip!
I love Buffalo Chicken Dip.
The spicy buffalo wing sauce juxtaposed with the creamy salad dressing renders me incapable of walking away from the table whenever it's served.
It's a sickness, I think.
The first time I shared a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip, I shared my coworker's instructions. She uses whole chicken breasts and shreds them before making the dip.
We aren't quite that put together around here, so when we need shredded chicken, we use canned. I buy white premium chunk chicken breast at the grocery store, and I shred it myself after draining the liquid.
This particular recipe is so mild that my kids beg to have it for dinner. It's by far their favorite meal, probably because we have it like twice a year.
I wrote the recipe below the way Joe and I like it, still very mild but with a little zing. When he is making it specifically for our children, he doubles everything except the RedHot sauce, so effectively making it ⅙ of a cup of hot sauce in the recipe below. There is still plenty of hot sauce flavor without the heat, and that's what our kids really like.
Even making it that way, every single time, one of the girls says, "Wow, Daddy made this a little hotter than normal this time," and I laugh silently because it. always. gets. said. even though he uses the exact same recipe and measures carefully every time.
Kids, I tell ya.
What you'll need to make the mild version of Frank's RedHot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Low-fat cream cheese - You can use full fat if you want to, but there is no appreciable difference in this recipe between that and the healthier neufchâtel version.
- Frank's RedHot Sauce - My recipe below suggests ⅓ cup of hot sauce, but you can use more or less to taste. I prefer Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, but I've also used Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce. They're both good.
- Ranch dressing - I generally suggest making your own ranch because it tastes out of this world, but in this recipe, you can get away with using bottled ranch if you want to.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast, drained and shredded - I use a large can of shredded chicken because it's super easy, but you could certainly use 18-20 ounces of cooked white meat chicken breast and shred it yourself.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips or crackers - To serve. You could also use veggies or crostini.
How to make mild Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Soften the cream cheese by placing it on a plate in the microwave for one minute.
- Combine the softened cream cheese, hot sauce, and ranch dressing in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Stir chicken into cream cheese mixture and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Spread dip in a 9" baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake according to preferred method below.
- Garnish with parsley, blue cheese crumbles, sliced green onions or chives, or a drizzle of ranch salad dressing or sour cream.
- Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, crostini, or cut up vegetables such as celery sticks. Or do like my kids do and just eat it with a spoon.
- Microwave for 8 minutes or until hot and bubbling.
- Carefully remove from the microwave and garnish as directed above.
- Before softening the cream cheese, pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- After assembling the dip, bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling.
- Carefully remove from the oven and garnish as directed above.
Slow cooker method
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and add to the crock of a small slow cooker.
- Top cream cheese with shredded chicken, hot sauce, ranch dressing, and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Cook on the high setting for 90 minutes or the low setting for 3-4 hours.
- Stir all ingredients together and top with remaining shredded cheese. Cook on high for an additional 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish as directed above.
If you're looking for instructions to make Frank's RedHot Buffalo Chicken Dip in the Instant Pot, head over here.
Buffalo chicken dip variations
This is not a sponsored post, but I am brand loyal for this recipe and always use Frank's RedHot Sauce because I think it has the best flavor. Feel free to use whatever hot sauce you prefer, but do start with less than you think you'll need and add a little bit at a time, tasting often, until you have your desired level of heat.
Try mixing shredded cheddar with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Replace the ranch dressing with blue cheese dressing. Or replace half of the cheddar with blue cheese crumbles.
I have kept the ingredients to a minimum, but you could add any of the following to make the good dip taste even better:
- 1-2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoons of onion powder
- ½ tablespoon of black pepper
Try these other amazing dips & appetizers
Buffalo chicken dip is a family favorite at my house. In fact, we eat it on all the major holidays and occasions, for a late night snack, and every time we have to take a dish to a potluck or party. This is our go-to recipe because it has a whole lot of flavor, but it's so mild that even kids can partake.
I was not compensated, and I received nothing free in exchange for posting this recipe and information. I just like the dip.