30 responses

1. Lauren
    December 8, 2018

This looks scrumptious! I’m assuming it can also be made in the oven?

• Tara Ziegmont
      December 10, 2018

I would think so. Joe has even made the sauce on the stovetop before and tossed it over pulled pork that was already cooked. It’s very versatile and SO GOOD!

2. Sharon
    January 7, 2019

I had to add liquid because my instant pot warned me that the sauce was burning. Just FYI.

• Tara Ziegmont
      January 7, 2019

Thanks! We didn’t have that problem but every cook is different.

• Julie
      November 26, 2019

I had the same thing happen. I just added some chicken broth and scraped the bottom of the pot. Reset and everything was fine.

• Crystal
      April 5, 2020

I had to add water too. I added a half cup of water. Maybe a little less would still have worked. After the meat was cooked, I made more sauce so we had gravy. I just didn’t add the water to it, since it had plenty of liquid.

• Renee
      April 21, 2020

We had this issue too. The instant pot burnt on the bottom. We are now smoking the pork shoulder and I’ll do the sauce on the stove top.

3. Laurie
    March 25, 2019

High pressure or low on the Instant Pot?

• Tara Ziegmont
      March 28, 2019

We have only ever used our IP on high pressure.

• Terry
        January 4, 2020

I made this tonight for the first time & will definitely make it again! It was easy, super delicious & full of flavor. The meat was so tender & moist! I had plenty of thin liquid making the sauce per the recipe so had no issues at all with burn notice. Thank you for sharing your yummy recipe!

• Tara Ziegmont
        January 6, 2020

I’m so glad you liked it! Thanks for coming back to let me know.

4. June Mitchell
    March 31, 2019

This looks delicious! Can this be made with potatoes and carrots in the pot? Or will they become too soft for that length of time?

• Tara Ziegmont
      March 31, 2019

I’m not really sure. We have never tried vegetables in our IP. Maybe another reader would have a suggestion?

5. Melissa Herrera
    April 17, 2019

Could I freeze the sauce and pork together, thaw and then toss in the instant pot? Trying to figure our a way to make it a freezer meal…

• Tara Ziegmont
      April 17, 2019

I’ve never tried that, but we have put frozen pork into the IP and cooked it that way successfully. You just have to cook it longer.

6. Emily
    July 15, 2019

I’ve made this twice now, once with a pork roast and once with a tenderloin. Both turned out great! I cut back on the sugar the second time (added only maybe 1-2 T) to make it tangier, which worked out great. I think this is my husband’s new favorite way of cooking pork

7. Maureen Thompson
    September 11, 2019

I have a 1.5lb center cut boneless pork roast. Can you give me instructions on cooking time, etc., liquids, and all to make mine which is smaller that your recipe calls for. Thanks!

8. Clarissa
    December 12, 2019

Yes put in at least 1 1/2 cups of liquid my IP did the same thing!

9. JJ
    December 28, 2019

Hello,

I’m new to cooking and new to instant pots, I’m assuming to cook the meat on meat setting (step4) I use the lid with the pressure valve closed? Also I have double the roast size (5ish lbs), so I’m doubling the sauce recipe and the time. Is that what you would do?

• Tara Ziegmont
      December 29, 2019

To the first part, yes, cook on meet setting with the pressure valve closed. I’ve never cooked a significantly larger roast though, so I can’t help with the second part. I don’t think doubling the time would be necessary, but hopefully someone with more Instant Pot knowledge than I have can help.

10. Kim
    January 6, 2020

I followed this recipe to exact specifications and my pot also warned me that it was burning. I added another round of sauce mixture and it warned me again. So I just added water this time. Not sure what I can do if it warns me again.

11. Daralyn
    January 9, 2020

I made this last night using the meat setting as the recipe stated. It’s the first time I’ve used the meat setting as opposed to manually setting the time. The roast came out so horribly tough and dry that we couldn’t eat it. It is farm fresh pork (raised in our front yard), so I know it wasn’t a problem with the roast. I would like to try it again, but would set the time manually instead of using the meat setting.

12. Elizabeth
    February 7, 2020

Yes Daralyn same thing happened to me! Followed recipe exactly minus cornstarch and my roast also came out so though and dry. The sauce/gravy was delicious lipbut, definitely less time I think? I really don’t know where it went wrong

13. Michelle Harrison
    February 12, 2020

I made this last night for my family and it was delicious. I had about 4 lb pork loin. I used half the brown sugar because we are not huge sweet eaters and it was perfect. To avoid the burn notice, I was taught to always deglaze the pot after searing. I simply removed the roast and added about 1/4 cup bone broth and deglazed. I through the Loin back in along with the sauce minus cornstarch. Once the Loin has a full natural release, I thickened the sauce with a corn starch slurry. It was moist and delicious! Some people may have used a tenderloin instead of Pork Loin and that’s why it turned out dry. We loved this and will certainly make again. Thanks for sharing!

14. Lisa
    March 6, 2020

Do you use the little rack to put the pork on?? Or do you just place it right on the bottom?

• Tara Ziegmont
      March 6, 2020

We just put it right on the bottom.

15. Kendra
    March 9, 2020

It burned.

16. Betty
    March 9, 2020

I made this tonight and it was juicy and delicious. My pork roast was 3 1/2 pounds so I increased the sauce recipe by 50%. I’m so glad I did. I made a slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken the juice at the end. I will have gravy for my leftovers. I also quartered Russet potatoes and peeled fresh carrots to add to the pot before cooking. They were perfect. I will definitely make this again.

17. John
    April 12, 2020

Followed the directions and it turned out very dry. Cooked it on high no special setting. Recipe didn’t call out anything specific. No bueno. I was excited for it too.

18. Kelly
    April 18, 2020

Had to stop and start over after adding extra water because my pot warned me of food burn, hopefully that takes care of it! Looks delicious, hoping it turns out!