This easy homemade tzatziki sauce recipe has three steps - and one is to cover and refrigerate! It's an authentic recipe from the author's Greek grandma, and it is sure to please any cucumber lover! It can be made with sour cream or a healthy version with Greek yogurt.
This tzatziki sauce recipe is just like my Greek grandma makes - heavy on the garlic and cucumbers! It's the perfect sauce to top a Greek gyro or my favorite homemade baked (healthy) falafel.
If you've never had tzatziki sauce, you are in for an awesome surprise! It's a thick sauce made primarily from Greek yogurt and grated cucumbers, with some garlic added in for a zippy kick of flavor. I always ask for extra tzatziki in restaurants, but when you cook at home, you can add as much as you want!
How to make homemade tzatziki sauce
- Grate one medium cucumber. After grating, press out the excess moisture by lining a colander with a paper towel, putting in the grated cucumber, and then topping with another paper towel. Squeeze the cucumber into the colander to push out the excess water. Do this several times (but not so hard that the cucumber turns into pulp). This is an important step and will prevent your final sauce from being diluted and runny.
- Mix everything together in a medium bowl - the grated cucumber, Greek yogurt, olive oil, salt and pepper, dill (and onion powder if not using the Pampered Chef dill mix), and garlic. Fresh pressed garlic is best, but if you don't have that, you could use minced garlic from a jar or even ⅔ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour but preferably 6 hours to overnight. Serve cold.
You could enjoy tzatziki sauce on these yummy recipes:
- Healthy Baked Falafel
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts with Fresh Asparagus
- Garlic Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese
- Instant Pot Garlic Chicken
And if you love cucumbers like I do, give these a try:
Other homemade sauces and dip recipes
- Cajun Remoulade Sauce - Loaded with cajun spice in a base of mayo and Miracle Whip (yes, both!)
- Sweet Chili Sauce - Chili peppers, garlic, and ginger in a base of rice vinegar and ketchup
- Copycat Burger King Zesty Sauce - Horseradish in a mayonnaise base
- Lemon Garlic Aioli - Fresh lemon juice and garlic in a mayonnaise base
- Honey Sriracha Mayo - Just what the name says
I can't believe I didn't make this sooner. So easy and yummy!