16 responses

1. Trina Oboyle
    July 27, 2010

I don't have many cookie cutters but I use my round one for dumplings, homemade ravioli, egg cut outs for sandwiches and more that I can't think of at the moment 🙂 I need to break out my train shapes for sandwiches for the boys…great ideas!

2. Jennelsonlane
    July 27, 2010

I love this post!! The only way my son will eat breakfast sausage is if we use the star cookie cutter. He calls it “Star Meat,” which is kind of gross, but at least he's eating it, right? I may have to try the zoo salad this week. That's too, too cute!

3. Living in Dar
    July 27, 2010

I make our own chicken nuggets, and use the cutters to make them into shapes. So we have dinosaur shaped nuggets, stars, whatever the little one asks for.

4. Sarah
    July 27, 2010

I know it’s not cooking, but we use our cookie cutters for play-doh, washing them before we use them with food. They get A LOT of use that way!

5. Heather
    July 27, 2010

You are so brilliant! I like making homemade graham crackers and using cookie cutters to make animal shapes. I know, they are still sort of cookies. But it's not quite the same, right? 🙂

6. FeelsLikeHomeBlog
    July 27, 2010

Not at all like cookies! I actually thought about putting homemade crackers on the list, but I thought, “I wonder how many people would really make them.” I decided to save them for the next time, if it ever comes. I'm glad you mentioned them! 🙂

7. gograhamgo
    July 27, 2010

Great ideas! I never would've thought of the salad idea! I generally just use them to cut out sandwiches for Graham!

8. Jeni
    July 27, 2010

I make Egg in the Hole all the time, and I never thought about using a shaped cookie cutter! I'll definitely give that a try!

9. FeelsLikeHomeBlog
    July 27, 2010

I love that idea! How do you make your own nuggets?
    I lamented at the price of dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets at our grocery store – $3.99 for 12 nuggets. That's ridiculous, but Grace loves them.

10. FeelsLikeHomeBlog
    July 27, 2010

Yes! We do that, too. Actually, I got a set of 101 plastic cookie cutters at the craft store (super cheap) that Grace keeps in her play kitchen. Those are the ones we use for the Play-Doh and painting, and the metal ones for food stay in the kitchen.
    Next Tuesday's post is about crafts to do with cookie cutters, and I mentioned play-doh and painting in that one. 🙂

11. AngieB
    July 27, 2010

I use them to make dumplings. I have a roll-out dumplings recipe for Thanksgiving and when we need comfort food, and the tiny cookie cutters from Pampered Chef work beautifully for this!

12. ohamanda
    July 28, 2010

I do quesadillas, too. Oh, yum! You are a genius!

13. Julie Bagamary
    July 28, 2010

Very clever! I've made heart shaped rice crispie treats.

14. Jennifer
    August 1, 2010

We use our cookie cutters with pla-doh and for stamping wrapping paper patterns.

15. Pat Cook
    August 5, 2014

I have my grand daughter in the mornings and take her to school. Often I make her sandwich. She was so delighted when I started pressing a heart in the center of her sandwich. She is a very picky eater and I discovered she would always eat the heart cut from her sandwich. So I started using larger shaped cutters & began surprising her with different shapes. She caught on fast to holiday shapes and when spring came she asked one morning what shape was for spring. I had a large circle with scalloped edges, a flower of course. Not only did she start eating more, but we grew a special bond around this lunchtime activity. Now that it is summer she still wants to have her sandwich cut into a special shape, only now she is choosing the shape herself.