The best Italian sausage sandwiches - Smothered in tomato sauce, onions, and mushrooms, these sweet or spicy sausages are perfect for family dinners or lunches, parties, Super Bowl, or any time you want an awesome sandwich. This quick and easy meal is simple prepare.
Why these are the best Italian sausage sandwiches
These sandwiches have virtually no prep and take just a few minutes to cook. All you have to do is brown the sausages, throw in the veggies, and then pour in the sauce. It takes less than 25 minutes which makes it the perfect meal for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
You can use mild, hot, or sweet Italian sausage for this recipe, allowing you to customize the flavors to your family's preferences.
What you'll need to make this Italian sausage sandwiches recipe
- 10-inch stainless steel skillet - This is what I have, but any medium to large sized pan will be fine.
- Instant read thermometer - I recommend always using a meat thermometer when cooking meat to ensure that it is safe to eat.
See the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page for all measurements and nutritional information.
- Italian sausage links - You can use spicy, mild, or sweet, according to your taste preference.
- Olive oil - You can really use any flavorless oil here.
- Sweet onion - I love sweet Vidalia onions, but you can use whatever onions you have. Slice it into thin rings.
- Sliced mushrooms - I like mushrooms on my Italian sausage sandwiches. If you don't like mushrooms, leave them out.
- Spaghetti sauce - You can use any pasta sauce or marinara sauce you like, and it already has all the seasonings, garlic, etc already mixed in. I make my own in large batches in the summer, but sauce from the grocery store will also work.
- Sandwich rolls - Standard hot dog buns don't work very well for this recipe because they're soft and sort of turn to mush under the spaghetti sauce. You're better off with more substantial sandwich or hoagie rolls.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese - This is optional but adds something nice to the sandwiches. You could also use shredded provolone or pepper jack or slivered Parmesan.
How to make Italian sausage sandwiches
- Heat a tablespoon or olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the sausages for a few minutes, until they begin to brown.
- Add the onions.
- Stir occasionally until the onions are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and the sauce.
- Cook until the mushrooms are your desired tenderness. Taste for salt and season if you prefer. Use an instant read thermometer to make sure the sausages are cooked all the way through. Pork needs to reach a temperature of 145ºF.
- Serve each sausage in a bun, topped with lots of onions and mushrooms. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired.
Most people put green or red peppers on their Italian sausage sandwiches, but I don't like peppers so I don't. If you like peppers, feel free to slice a green bell pepper or a red bell pepper (or both) and sauté it with the onions in step 3.
If you like your sausages spicy, use a jar of diablo sauce or sprinkle some red pepper flakes over the sauce after you add it.
You can toast your rolls by placing them cut side up on a baking sheet and then putting them under the broiler for a minute or two. Just a minute though! Don't take your eyes off of them because they will burn and catch on fire before you can believe it.
You can slice the Italian sausages into coins and serve this over pasta for a whole different dish. Sprinkle with slivered Parmesan and serve for a hearty dinner.
What to serve with Italian sausage sandwiches
Storing leftover Italian Sausages
Transfer cooled leftovers with the sauce and veggies to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Obviously, store the rolls separately in a sealed plastic bag.
To reheat, either place sausages and sauce in a skillet and reheat over medium heat or reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds at a time until heated through.
You can also freeze Italian sausage with sauce. When fully cooled, place everything in a zippered freezer bag or airtight container. Store in the freezer up to 2 months. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat as directed above.
Try these other tasty sandwiches
- Pittsburgh Style BBQ Ham Sandwiches
- Egg and Olive Salad Sandwich
- Classic Reuben Sandwich
- Black and Blue Burgers
- Jamaican Meat Pies
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Turkey Salad Sandwiches