Quick and easy classic deviled eggs recipe made with simple ingredients: mayo or Miracle Whip, horseradish mustard, Worcestershire, and seasoning to taste.
I love to eat deviled eggs, and whenever we have a family meal, I request my sister to make some and bring over.
Despite this deep and abiding love for the appetizer turned side dish turned main course, I hadn't made any in eons. I asked her for her recipe (which is our mom's recipe and probably our grandma's recipe too), and the following is what she told me.
Actually, what really happened is that I asked her to make me some, and she said no, so then I asked her for the recipe. I figured if I had to make them myself, I might as well make the ones I really like.
How to make classic deviled eggs
- Prepare the eggs. Hard boil 2 dozen eggs using your preferred method. We used to do them on the stovetop which works really well if you follow these hard boiling instructions, but now we prefer to use the Instant Pot as it is more consistent and the eggs seem to peel easier (ours is the model I linked and has an eggs button). When they are cooked, rinse under cold water and then peel. Cut each egg in half the long way and pop the yolks out into a medium mixing bowl. Set the whites aside.
- Prepare the filling. Mash the yolks with a fork and combine with Miracle Whip Light, or may, both mustards, and Worcestershire sauce with the mashed yolks. Blend well. Taste and adjust ingredients as necessary to suit your palate.
- Assemble the deviled eggs. Use an icing decorator, two spoons, or a plastic bag with the corner cut off, fill the whites with yolk mixture. You could use any decorator for a pretty, finished look, but two spoons will work too. The key is to fill the well in each egg white until it is heaping with the delicious yolk mixture.
- Garnish and serve. Sprinkle the finished deviled eggs with red paprika. If you prefer the flavor of smoked paprika, you could use that instead. Serve chilled.
Try these other egg recipes while you’re here:
- How to Make the Best Classic Deviled Eggs
- Zucchini Sausage Egg Muffins Recipe (Gluten-Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Oven Baked Omelet
- Cheese & Green Chile Frittata