Cheeseburger Soup from Taste of HomeDecember 17, 2009 • By Tara Ziegmont
Cheeseburger Soup, originally from Taste of Home, is a rich and creamy, cheesy soup with a Velveeta base and a mildly spicy kick. This soup is a huge hit and makes enough for a crowd.
Once a month, we get together with our good friends and eat spend the day enjoying each others’ company. It’s always a long, laughter-filled day of eating.
This month, my friend Linda (who, as you may have noticed, gives me most of my best recipes), made Cheeseburger Soup.
In my brain, cheeseburger soup was full of ketchup and mustard and laden with pickles. It was a broth-based soup, and it was not at all pleasing in my brain.
Where did all that nonsense come from? It makes no sense, because who would want to eat a brothy soup with ketchup and mustard in it?
Nonetheless, I was hungry, and I asked if I could try some of the cheeseburger soup.
I was wowed with the very first bite. The smell was even amazing. That first bite was cheesy and creamy and spicy and out of this world good.
The soup turned out more like a spicy potato soup than what I would consider a cheeseburger soup. It’s so very good.
Even Grace liked it. She ate my entire first bowl, allowing me only two little bites.
The soup is filling, though, and that one bowl was enough for her. I was able to enjoy my second bowl in relative peace.
I can also report that this soup reheats nicely as I ate the leftovers on Monday night.
Note (2017) – We have made this soup at least monthly since the time I posted the recipe in 2009. It’s one of our most favorites. Joe takes it to every soup and recipe contest, and he almost always wins because everyone loves this creamy soup.
Linda served her soup with fresh bread. The bread was splendid dipped into the soup. When we make it at home, we skip the bread and serve it with carrot sticks or a small salad to increase the healthy factor (marginally, but every little bit counts, right?).
More easy soup recipes
You should check out these other soups I’ve shared:
- Crockpot potato chowder
- Cheesy vegetable soup
- Cheesy cauliflower soup
- Hot and sour soup
- Black Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
This cheeseburger soup is the best soup you will ever eat, bar none. It is cheesy and hearty and thick and rich. Your whole family will love it!
Cheeseburger Soup from Taste of Home
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 3/4 cup Carrots shredded
- 3/4 cup celery diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled potatoes diced, about 1-3/4 pounds
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour okay to use gluten-free here
- 12 ounces pepper jack Velveeta
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream.
A free cookbook? Yes, please!
Get 10 of my favorite Instant Pot recipes in my free cookbook, Instant Pot Made Easy! Click the button below to download. If for some reason, the button doesn’t work for you, leave a comment below, and I’ll email it to you.
© 2009 – 2020, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.