How to make the best healthy chicken enchiladas recipe - It's so quick, simple, and easy! Uses shredded chicken and a red sauce to bake the best authentic enchiladas!
This is crunchy on the ends! It's like eating chips! Grace announced last night at dinner.
Joe had surprised us with a new recipe, something we'd never tried before, cheesy baked chicken enchiladas.
I was dubious about eating enchiladas at this point of my pregnancy (because I have a lot of heartburn and indigestion) but the enchiladas were delicious.
I was excited to eat them again for lunch the next day; I don't get excited about much these days.
Except ice cream. I still get excited about ice cream.
Anyway, these enchiladas were tasty, and Joe said they were easy to make.
This recipe came from a cookbook called Dollars to Donuts: Comfort Food and Kitchen Wisdom from Route 66's Landmark Rock Cafe. It's full of my kind of recipes: simple, healthy, comfortable. We cook from it often; the original recipe came from that cookbook.
How to make the best healthy baked chicken enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a large bowl, prepare the filling by gently mixing shredded chicken, onion, all but 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, ½ cup salsa, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Spread ½ cup salsa over the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish OR spritz the bottom of the dish with cooking spray.
- Divide the filling between 8 tortillas, forming it into a line down the center. Roll the tortillas around the filling, and place the enchiladas seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the rolled enchiladas with remaining salsa and cheddar cheese.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with reserved cilantro and serve with sour cream.