74 responses

1. Alisha
    May 8, 2013

May want to clairfy that you don’t recommend drilling over your leg like shown here. It’s not safe, and all it takes is one nincompoop that isn’t thinking clearly!

May 8, 2013

You must have missed the 3 paragraphs under the photo. They’re about why you shouldn’t drill like that and how I expected to have to take him to the ER.

• Deborah Jackson
        February 6, 2015

Joe has a spot on his shorts that looks suspiciously like BLOOD – ha!! His drilling method looks painfully similar to mine. Going to try this over the weekend – highs in the 50’s here so good time to turn on the grill! Thank you.

2. Luann
    May 9, 2013

I use cooking bags to cook mine in the house so you don’t have the smell. When you use the cooking bags you cook them in a 375 degree oven instead and they take alittle longer to cook. When they are done and you take them out of the oven leave them to cool in the cooking bags for 5 minutes. When you open the bag there will be some plastic smell come from the bag but not as bad as your whole house smelling. It is hard to tell how many minutes it will take for them to be done it all depends on size of container they are cooking in but start with 25-30 minutes.

May 12, 2013

Very interesting! Thanks for the tip!

• Rebecca
      August 11, 2013

Thanks for the insight! I did mine today with my daughter using turkey oven bags and could only smell something when I opened the oven.

August 11, 2013

That’s good to know. Thanks for the tip!

• Liz
      November 13, 2017

thank you for this, my husband is not a fan of me cooking beads in the oven and he didn’t want me to use all the propane for the grill

• Liz
      November 13, 2017

when using the oven bags, do you have to do the normal add flour to coat the bag? or just cover the baking dish and secure it closed?

November 13, 2017

Sorry, but I’ve never used an oven bag.

• Liz
        November 13, 2017

okay thank you tara! trial and error i guess!! i will go to the dollar store to purchase them and try it tonight if it starts smelling then it wont work lol.

im making a 2 tier platter like: (a cupcake stand, fruit stand, jewelry holder) for christmas gifts…one size is a round cake pan the other size is a mini pie pan. i have 4 to make all at once and the oven would be the best bet, just dont want the icky smell, already did one and can’t take the smell. i will let you know how the bag turns out!!!

3. judy
    May 12, 2013

I am trying this one more time today. I have done it two times. First time did not use the right kind of beads. The ones I used last night I had it too thick and adding two layers to make coasters. I can tell it did not get hot enough. Today I am trying it again with a single layer with the holes up I am hoping it melts the bead together instead of them just sticking together. Cannot catch much sun with holes in it. If you have other suggestions, please let me know.

May 12, 2013

Definitely one single layer. 400 or 425 degrees. If they don’t look like they’re melted enough, keep them in longer. It might take 30-40 minutes or even more if your oven isn’t really hot. Even in a single layer, they will be plenty thick enough for coasters. The plastic is slippery, though; I’m not sure how well the glass would sit on them.

• judy
        May 12, 2013

We don’t usually have much in glasses here. It would be water bottles or canned soda. So thinking it will work. I finally did one as a suncatcher and it did fine. Now just have to get a pan to make them bigger. I had hoped I could do multiple layers so I could make stepping stones but not sure that will work. I got some plastic beads that you use a a filler for pillows and it melts great. Thinking I can do that then put small round colored beads in first and they will stick to the white plastic as it melts. Going to try that next weekend. Thanks.

May 13, 2013

Very interesting! Share some pictures on my Facebook page! I’d love to see what you come up with. http://Facebook.com/FeelsLikeHome

4. Kelly
    May 14, 2013

I made these last summer. I was afraid of the fumes in the house and grill. So we bought a toaster oven at Salvation Army! It’s now our crafting toaster oven! We just put it outside and it worked great. We used a metal star mold from the dollar tree. Instead of drilling a hole, I just used a toothpick to make a hole, while the plastic was still soft. I guess the only negative is that you can’t make large suncatchers in the toaster oven. Yours look really nice!

• Chris
      May 24, 2013

Wondering if anyone has tried melting those colored stones used to put in flower vases. If so, could the same method be used? I don’t have a kiln. I have looked at a few blogs, but they all used kilns. (and that was for marbles. I’m thnking these stones might have the same consistancy as marbles) please let me know if you have tried this. I am anxious to try some ideas I’ve been playing with in my head:)

May 24, 2013

These beads are just plastic. The marbles you’re talking about are glass, as far as I know. Neither a home oven nor a backyard grill get hot enough to melt glass.

5. Diana
    July 26, 2013

can i use the foil pans?

July 26, 2013

I think foil pans would work.

• Diana
        July 27, 2013

Thank you for getting back to me. I will let you know how the foil pans work.

6. Anita
    August 10, 2013

Thanks so much for posting all your hints! Our small crafting club will be making these tomorrow and you have saved us a lot of problems with your experience. I’ll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

August 10, 2013

Finding all the problems is my special gift. 😉 I’d love to see pictures when you’re finished. You can always post them to my Facebook page.

7. Lisa
    August 20, 2013

I so enjoyed reading about your suncatchers. I was looking on Google for ideas to make them and came across your page. I was quite engrossed until I came to the pic of Joe drilling the holes and your comment about the emergency room…..it was then i realised exactly how engrossed I was….lol. Thank you for that.

August 20, 2013

hahaha! Glad you liked it. 🙂

8. Denise
    August 26, 2013

have you ever used the beads with letters or words on them? I’ve been wondering how they would melt.

August 27, 2013

I haven’t tried them, only because I like my finished suncatchers to be transparent and the ones with stuff on them are usually opaque. I suspect that the letters would morph into unreadable blobs, but the only way to know for sure is to try it. If you do, share a picture on my Facebook page so we can all see!

9. donna
    August 30, 2013

WOW! YOU COULD NOT HAVE MADE THIS PROCESS ANY EASIER. Thank you for all your helpful information. Looking forward to giving this a try when the cooler weather is upon us.

10. Cheryl
    September 18, 2013

Help!! Tried making coasters. I cannot get them out
    of my muffin tins? Any ideas? What did I do wrong?

September 18, 2013

Sadly, I have no answer. The same thing happened when I used a muffin tin, though my muffin tin was a sort of oven-safe plastic. Maybe to make that size, it would be best to line them with aluminum foil?

• Linda
        March 20, 2017

oil your container your using. I threw away tw0 previos attempts until spouse segested oiling the container your using. WORKS GREAT.

• Denise
      September 18, 2013

Mine stuck too. I had to like bend and pull on the tin to get them to loosen. they eventually did release.

• Jackie
      August 21, 2014

I used a commercial pan for large cupcakes and it is stuck and the pan is too heavy to bend or twist. Any other options for me to try to get the sun catcher out? It is so pretty it just makes me sad:(

August 21, 2014

Unfortunately not. I lost a couple because I couldn’t get them out of the pans. I actually broke one of the pans in half trying to get the suncatcher out.

• Jackie
        August 21, 2014

My husband solved the problem! He put the pan with the stuck sun catcher into the freezer for about 4 hours. He then ran hot water on the bottom of the pan, then gave a gentle rap against the sink and a perfect sun catcher came out. So proud of him and so happy to get the sun catcher out of the pan so I can use it

August 24, 2014

Yay! I’m so happy that you saved it! I didn’t think of putting it in the freezer. What a resourceful husband!

11. Donna Golliday
    October 12, 2013

How do I get the edges from being so rough?

October 14, 2013

I just left mine rough. If you sand it, there would be scratch marks and stuff.

12. Lisa Byron
    April 12, 2014

I used the wrong kind of beads Mardi Grau beads

April 18, 2014

Yeah, those definitely won’t work.

13. Ira von Hombracht
    May 11, 2014

Thanks for all the good ideas. Started on mine yesterday. cooked them outside on the grill soooo easy. used small metal bracelet/earring beads for hole to eliminate drilling on the larger pieces. drilled holes on the smaller rounds but the metal piece makes them look very “professional”.
    one thing though, bought old pans from the thrift store and if there is any black or rust on them it will transfer to the shape…not so pretty! 🙁
    has anyone tried silicone molds? i just looking for more variety in the shapes.

14. Melissa
    May 30, 2014

Any tips for the drilling? maybe my drill bits are too big idk but they heat up while drilling and then spin the disc, with sharp edges i might add so i have acquired some nice gashes on my fingers. My brother suggested making the discs cold so I have my remaining ones in the freezer. I love the way these look and can not wait to finish this project 🙂

June 5, 2014

I think you’re right. The drill bits are too big. Ours were tiny and went through very easily.

• Wendy
        July 14, 2015

I put metal beads inside the design. The plastic stuck to the metal bead, and then I had a hole to hang things. Then you do not have to use a drill.

15. Joy
    June 11, 2014

First time yesterday. Used. Glass dish covered with tin foil and some using saved aluminum tart containers. I don’t have a drill but it was suggested to put a toothpick in while still warm but I like the idea of using a metal round jewelery thingy or even a small washer would make it look more professional. I’m wondering if you can also melt those containers that fruit comes in (cut into shapes) and integrated with the beds?

June 11, 2014

They are much thinner, so I think they would melt at a lower temperature and probably boil. If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

• Marge
      June 20, 2014

I used small thin washers, they worked perfect. I found some that have little beady spikes around the hole and they look great…

16. Shelly
    June 28, 2014

Im making mine now, have been in oven for almost an hour at 400 degrees. I am using poni beads and they are somewhat melted, but is the top of the beads suppose to melted so its smoothe? Leaving them in longer to see if they melt all the way down. I’ve been wanting to do this for monthsm

June 30, 2014

If you leave them in longer, they do get smooth. It depends on what look you want whether you take them out while they’re still bumpy or if you leave them in to become smooth.

17. Kristine
    July 16, 2014

Hello, My daughter made some of the sun catchers with pony beads for a 4H project. We are looking for copyright permission to use this project. Thank you!

July 17, 2014

Of course! Make all the sun catchers you want. 🙂 You can even sell them if that’s your thing.

18. felicity woodruffe
    October 2, 2014

Please please do not use silicone we did it melted everywhere and every time we light the oven the kitchen morphs into a smoke ho u se

19. Sunny
    October 4, 2014

I just finished one.. It worked great on the BBQ,,,it only took about 15 min.,,,I did it in an old metal pie pan..when it didn’t want to come out,I put it in the freezer for 20 min,,after I tapped it on the edge of the counter and it popped right out…Thanks so much for all the tips,,,I’ll make lots more..

20. sherie mcclelland
    January 29, 2015

i wonder of u can stick a head pin in where you want a hole while heating or before it drys for jewlery purposes

January 30, 2015

If you put the pin in and intended to leave it there, yes. If you wanted to remove the pin, I’m not sure.

21. angela
    March 20, 2015

Love the melted bead idea but worried about toxic fume issue . Does cooking in Turkey bags help

March 20, 2015

I’ve never tried it, but I don’t think it would matter much.

• angela
        March 21, 2015

Well, I am shopping for a cheap used toaster oven, lol! I don’t think I will try this indoors based on the fumes review. I am wondering if a combo of clear and solid beads would work or does it have to be all clear?

March 22, 2015

Oh yes, that will work. It will give you an interesting pattern, too.

22. Janene
    June 27, 2015

do you spray the pan with Pam before you put beans in and then in oven or BBQ pit?

June 29, 2015

I did not spray the pan with anything. I just put the beads right in.

23. Shannon S
    March 20, 2016

Hello! I am excited to do this project with my 3 year olds and will be using my grill. Did you close the lid when you did on the grill or leave it open?
    Thanks!

March 20, 2016

Keep the lid shut as much as you can to keep the temperature constant and hot enough to melt the beads.

24. Tracy
    June 7, 2017

Wanting to make some suncatchers of Luther Roses for our church’s celebration of the 500 anniversary of Luther in the reformation. Couldn’t fine any but think I can use this idea with heart shapes. How would you suggest gluing them together?

June 9, 2017

I would think any heavy duty glue like E6000 would glue them together. Maybe even a hot glue gun would work.

25. Pip
    November 24, 2017

Hi
    We used a bbq and the beads have discoloured and I can’t get them out! I think it may have been too hot as the plastic seemed to be boiling… Our gas bbq has a flat hot plate on one side and an open grill on the other – which do you use?

November 25, 2017

If the beads discolored, I would agree that they were too hot. You definitely don’t want the beads to boil. I have an old, non-fancy grill, and I just put the pans in on the grates over the fire, but I didn’t put it on too high.

I did have one pan where the melted beads wouldn’t come out. I ended up breaking the pan (!!!) and the beads trying to get them out.

26. BECKI
    December 8, 2017

Enjoyed reading this and learning more ideas for craft projects. As I read I couldn’t help but to realize some were having issues with them not coming out. Just a thought, as I have not tried this yet, but would applying parchment paper work for easy removal? Just a thought. Also, to the one questioning about the glass beads…i have been taking my glass marbles and baking them and then soo. As they come out putting them in an ice bath. They rack so pretty and can be used for many different craft ideas. However they have to be glass beads 100% to work. Some of the filled in white marbles are not all glass and didn’t work.
    Have fun crafting people and keep ideas flowing for us all.

27. Dee
    October 29, 2019

HI! I’m not sure you are still available for comment, given the date of these posts. I wanted to know if using clear glue would affect anything. I wanted to do this with my students but would need them to glue beads down to the pan so they wouldn’t move. I suspect it would take two classes for them to complete it. I would also need to take them home to melt them.

October 29, 2019

Hi Dee, I do still read and respond to comments, and I still post new stuff regularly as well. 🙂 I have never tried to heat glue, so I’m not sure how it would work. I would be concerned that the glue might turn brown and also concerned that the beads might not come out of the pan once the glue cools. What I do know is that if you put the beads in the pan in a single layer, you can pack them in pretty tight so that there would be no need for glue. Then you could stack the pans one inside the next to keep them safe for transport. Good luck!