29 responses

1. Beth
    February 9, 2011

I just used mine this evening to make homemade bread sticks. They. Were. Delicious.

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      February 9, 2011

Awesome! Will you share how you made them?

2. Heather
    February 9, 2011

I use mine for roasted veggies all the time. Other than pizza, that’s the most frequent use. I still freak out at my husband if he tries to “clean” my baking stones. He never gets the gunk scraped off! Just counted in my head. I have 7 different baking stones. Love them all 🙂

3. Katja Presnal
    February 9, 2011

Ok, I don’t have one…. I know! I must buy a pizza stone right now. I used to make homemade pizza all the time, and then we moved to NY and have an amazing Italian pizza place right around the corner.. and I never make pizza anymore! But it’s a great idea to use pizza stone for other things as well!

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      February 9, 2011

That would be a tough decision to make… order in or make it at home. I bet it’s cheaper to make it at home, if that’s a consideration. 🙂

4. Tara @ Feels Like Home
    February 9, 2011

i was a Pampered Chef consultant for a few years, so all of mine came from them. I haven’t tried them from any other source, so I can’t say how they compare. Maybe someone else can comment?

5. suzannah {ShoutLaughLove}
    February 9, 2011

we make pizzas on restaurant supply metal pans, but i’ve wanted a pizza stone ever since i saw a recipe at kitchen stewardship for homemade wheat thin crackers using one. you’ve given me lots of ideas:)

6. NerdMom
    February 9, 2011

Finally! Someone else who doesn’t make her cookies on the stone! I felt like I was the only person who liked stoneware who didn’t do cookies on them.

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      February 9, 2011

I’ve tried and tried, preheating, not preheating, greasing, not greasing. I just don’t like hoe they turn out.

7. Julie Wilson
    February 9, 2011

My flat stones are as old as my marriage… GREAT shower gift! 🙂 12 1/2 years later they are VERY seasoned! 🙂 I use them for chicken fingers/french fries all the time, and homemade pizza! Totally agree on the cookies, we stopped using the stone for those a long time ago!

My favorite is my deep dish baker, almost anything baked in the oven (chicken, fish, etc.) gets done in that stone!

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      February 9, 2011

Yes! I think my deep dish baker is my most used, too. I use it for pies and dips, too.

8. Anonymous
    February 9, 2011

Great tips! Too bad I don’t own a pizza stone.

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      February 9, 2011

Yes, indeed. Keep your eyes open; you might find one at a yard sale or in a thrift shop.

9. Tara @ Feels Like Home
  10. Heathahlee
    February 9, 2011

Love, love, LOVE my stones! I have a ton like you do. I was a PC consultant for three years. I use every one of them. Some not as frequently as others, but they ALL get used.

As far as cookies go, we LOOOOOVE cookies on the stone! We just make sure they cook just a little longer than if they were on a metal pan. And the great thing about it is if you leave them in the oven for 45 minutes instead of 12 (I’ve never done that, of course…ahem), they DON’T burn. Well, they do get really, really brown, but if they had been on a metal pan they would have been on fire! Not that that ever really happened…just, you know, hypothetically. ; )

I had my first pizza stone for 13 years…it was perfectly seasoned. One day it was sitting on the counter as I was getting something out of the cabinet above it when something fell out and hit it. It was sitting on something so there was a gap between it and the counter top and it broke when the thing fell on it without it being able to absorb the impact. I think I cried. Good thing I had another one as a backup, but it wasn’t seasoned! It is now, though, so all is well. : )

11. robinelton
    February 9, 2011

We got one for Christmas, made pizza on it, the cheese melted all over it, and we can’t scrub it off. It smoked the next time I put it in the oven, setting off the smoke alarm, & I haven’t looked at it since. Salvageable? Or did someone get us a cheap stone?

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      February 9, 2011

Do you know what brand it is? I would try soaking it in water over night and see if that helped.

If it didn’t help, I would open the windows and cook it at 350 until the cheese all burned off and stopped smoking. (I don’t imagine anyone would recommend that, so do it at your own risk.)

• Tara @ Feels Like Home

12. Stacie Haight Connerty
    February 9, 2011

I never take our pizza stone out of the oven because it never occurred to me to use it for something else. Thanks for the ideas!

13. AprilB
    May 5, 2011

I *LOVE* making pizzas on my pizza stone. I agree, the one time I made cookies on it I didn’t like how they turned out at all.

When cheese (or any other toppings) get stuck and baked to the stone, instead of scraping it (I was afraid of damaging it), I just wet some washcloths really well and lay them on the parts of the stone that have cheese burned onto it. In the morning (I leave it on overnight), the cheese and anything else that was cooked rubs right off. It’s excessively easy to clean that way!

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      May 6, 2011

That’s an awesome tip! As long as I’ve had my stones, I’ve never thought to soak them with a washcloth.

14. Sarah Peterson
    January 28, 2017

For all these recipes are you supposed to pre heat the stone?

• Tara Ziegmont
      January 29, 2017

Pampered Chef recommends that you never pre-heat a stone. I’m not sure about other companies.

15. Renee
    August 13, 2018

I just used my PC pizza stone for the first time 2 days ago. My thin crust was not crispy at all. I used a pillsbury refrigerated crust. I’ve never had a problem with that crust on my metal pizza pan. What did I do wrong?

• Tara Ziegmont
      August 14, 2018

If it didn’t get crispy, you probably didn’t cook it long enough. Often, you have to cook it a bit longer to give the stone time to heat up and properly cook your food.

16. Becky L Lansdale
    December 18, 2018

So many talk about making quesadillas so I tried it. It was very good but I like mine crispier. I pre-heat the stone to 425° then put my quesadilla on the stone to cook for 10 min (i lightly sprayed cooking spray on the up side). The bottom was good but the top wasn’t crispy. What should I do different?

• Tara Ziegmont
      December 19, 2018

I would say don’t preheat the stone so you can cook it longer. If you don’t preheat the stone, the bottom of the quesadilla will get crispy more slowly as the stone heats up, allowing the top more time to crisp as well. Just a thought though; you may have to experiment.