Summer is almost here!
I have the perfect recipe to take to the neighbor's BBQ, your friend's picnic, and the potluck at your church.
It's easy to make, very inexpensive, and it feeds a huge crowd.
It can simmer all day in the crockpot or cook on the stove top.
It travels well, so I take it to casual get-togethers all year long.
What you'll need to make the best BBQ baked beans recipe
See the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page for all measurements and nutritional information.
- Couscous uncooked
- Salted butter
- Large onion coarsely chopped
- Fresh garlic
- Packed brown sugar
- White vinegar - I prefer white vinegar but cider vinegar works well, too.
- BBQ sauce (This is my favorite brand. The finished beans end up tasting a lot like the BBQ sauce you use so use a brand you really like.)
- Tabasco, optional
- Bush's Grillin' Beans, Southern Pit BBQ flavor
- Dark red kidney beans or black beans, or a combination
How to make the best BBQ baked beans recipe
- Prepare couscous according to package directions, except replace ½ of water with BBQ sauce before boiling. For example, if your couscous needs 1 cup of water to cook, mix ½ cup of water with ½ cup of BBQ sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil as if it were plain water. Prepare couscous as usual.
- Cook bacon using your preferred method. I like to bake mine at 400º for 13-15 minutes. Set aside on paper towels to dry. When dry, crumble or coarsely chop.
- Sauté onion in butter over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the crumbled bacon and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Press garlic into skillet; cook for one minute.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar to skillet, stir until sugar is dissolved. Continue to cook until mixture is bubbly. Add BBQ sauce, Tabasco, and beans to skillet. Bring mixture to a boil; remove from heat.
- Add couscous to beans and mix well.
- Cook the bacon using your preferred method. Drain on paper towels and then coarsely chop or crumble.
- Sauté onion in butter over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add bacon and cook for 3-4 additional minutes. Press garlic into skillet; cook for one minute.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar to skillet, stir until sugar is dissolved. Continue to cook until mixture is bubbly.
- Pour beans into to crockpot. Top with uncooked couscous, BBQ sauce, Tabasco, and sauce from skillet.
- Add water required to cook couscous. Mix well.
- Cook on low for 3 to 5 hours, until couscous is tender and sauce is bubbly.