Southwest Chicken and Rice Tacos in the Instant PotNovember 30, 2018 • By Tara Ziegmont
These Instant Pot chicken tacos are quick and easy and delicious! They can be made from fresh or frozen chicken breasts or thighs and are great for tacos, salads, or nachos.
We resisted the Instant Pot for a long time, but when my friend Jill drank the Kool-Aid and raved about her Instant Pot, I finally caved and got one. Jill said it would save oodles of time and energy in the kitchen, and my poor husband is seriously overworked, so I thought he would love it – if it was as amazing as Jill claimed.
I brought the new Instant Pot home and gave it to Joe for his birthday, hoping he would not hate me for it.
Well, he didn’t. He did a little research and totally fell in love with his new Instant Pot. He immediately started using it at least twice a week, a habit which has continued to do this day.
Joe has myriad of Instant Pot recipes, so I am going to start sharing them with you. His favorite thing to do with his IP is to make chicken in it. He can put the chicken in frozen, cook it for 15-20 minutes, and then have chicken ready to go for just about any recipe, especially these Instant Pot chicken tacos which are one of my favorites.
This particular recipe is a recipe he created just for me. Even though Joe first made it with rice, nowadays he leaves the rice out so that it’s easier for me to have my bariatric portion. He just makes 1 1/2 cups of brown rice on the stove and mixes it when he serves it. It’s extra work that you wouldn’t have to go through unless someone in your house doesn’t eat rice. If you do leave out the rice, also leave out 1 cup of chicken broth (still put in 1/2 cup so that there is enough liquid for the IP to cook properly).
The Best Instant Pot Chicken Tacos with Beans and Rice
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice NOT Minute Rice
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 15 oz kidney beans
- 1/2 cup corn we use frozen because I think it tastes better
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro snipped
- Place rice, salsa, beans, corn, and chicken broth in the Instant Pot.
- Nestle the chicken down in the liquid mixture. Sprinkle the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and salt over the chicken. It's okay if it gets over the liquid, too, but try to get it on the chicken.
- Seal your IP and cook on high pressure for 24 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the rest.
- Remove the chicken breast and shred.
- Serve topped with cheese and cilantro. You can spoon it into taco shells or taco-sized tortillas for chicken tacos.
- For 1 1/2 cups brown rice, add 1/2 cup salsa, 2 1/2 cups chicken broth to a sauce pan. (Consult the package directions and adjust liquid if necessary.)
- Follow the package directions to boil the liquid and cook the rice. Adding the salsa and chicken broth will give it a nice flavor, similar to what it would have had if cooked with the chicken in the IP.
A free cookbook? Yes, please!
Get 10 of my favorite Instant Pot recipes in my free cookbook, Instant Pot Made Easy! Click the button below to download. If for some reason, the button doesn’t work for you, leave a comment below, and I’ll email it to you.
© 2018 – 2020, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.