How to make the best homemade copycat Taco Bell Mexican pizza – This quick and easy recipe is a healthy DIY version of the double decker tortilla pie you love. Baked in the oven with ground beef and tortillas, but can be made with chicken or vegetarian with simple modifications.
When we’ve been working out in the garden for too long, and we come inside, covered with dirt and hungry, we have painfully few options.
Joe put together these Mexican pizzas one day when exactly that happened.
The sun was shining, and we gardened and played outside late into the evening. By the time we came in, it was after 6 o’clock.
Joe made Mexican pizzas on thin crust flatbreads from the grocery store. They are packed with protein, and the crusts really are thin, so there are fewer carbs than a normal pizza crust.
You will want a nice big salad or fruit cup to round out your meal.
How to make the best copycat Taco Bell Mexican pizza
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brush each tortilla with a small amount of olive oil on both sides. Place on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes.
- Brown ground beef, garlic, and onion over medium heat. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until the onion is soft and the beef is no longer pink. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the meat and stir to distribute.
- In a medium bowl, mix refried beans with 1 cup of salsa. Spread bean mixture over 4 of the tortillas. Sprinkle beef and onions over the beans.
- Add a second tortilla on top of each pizza and spread with remaining salsa. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top pizzas with diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, and chopped cilantro. Slice and serve hot.
A free cookbook? Yes, please!
Get 10 of my favorite Instant Pot recipes in my free cookbook, Instant Pot Made Easy! Click the button below to download. If for some reason, the button doesn’t work for you, leave a comment below, and I’ll email it to you.
© 2013 – 2020, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.