Last month, I had the opportunity to drive a Dodge Caravan from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Asheville, North Carolina.
It wasn’t like they needed a courier or anything. Dodge was awesome enough to offer a Caraven for myself and my friends, Jessica, Lolli, and Jill to drive to the Type-A Parent Conference for bloggers. It was really great.
I wasn’t thrilled about the prospect of driving a Caravan all that distance.
Then I saw the vehicle.
The new Dodge Caravan is a minivan for people who don’t like minivans.
Like me, for example.
My mom had a minivan when I was in college. It was nice and roomy and all, but it was the antithesis of cool. Imagine picking up your date in a minivan.
Anyway, when I first laid eyes on the new Caravan, I thought it looked more like an SUV than a minivan. I was happy to get in and drive it.
Sure, it has sliding side doors, but they’re both automatic. That counts for something, right?
A few other things I loved about the Caravan –
- On the highway, it got better gas mileage than my little Saturn Vue (26 miles per gallon!)
- The back up camera – I never drove a car with a back up camera before, but I can tell you for sure that my next car will have one. Awesome.
- The built in window shades – I loved these. No more having to buy or fumble with window shades for the kids!
- The key was awesome! I really want a key like this because there’s no exposed metal parts for a little person to chew on.
- The dvd player – It can play two different videos! We never tried it; you know how a road trip with the girls goes. There was far too much chatting to worry about watching a video.
There were a couple of things that I didn’t love about the Caravan –
- Around Asheville, it only got 16 miles per gallon.
- We couldn’t figure out how to stow the third row of seats. They clearly are meant to fold down into the floor, but we couldn’t make them do that, and there was no manual in our vehicle to help us.
- The super cool computer in the dashboard was distracting to me. I wanted to play with it, and I almost missed an exit. A couple of times.
The one thing I dislike about my car these days is that I can’t bring anyone along. With two car seats in the back and Joe and I in the front, we don’t have room for anything or anyone else. The new Dodge Caravan would totally solve that problem.
I think I can overlook my minivan phobia for this vehicle. I wonder if they’d offer me one for longer than a weekend…
© 2011 – 2018, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.