20 responses

1. Laurie
    May 31, 2011

I love this list! And I’m happy to see that I’m already doing most of them some of the time – ha! I am going to use your words to inspire that to become ALL of them ALL of the time! Thanks so much! Pinning it and passing it on…

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      June 2, 2011

Thank you so much! I don’t do as many of them as I should. I’m a work in progress.

2. Jamie @ See Jamie blog
    May 31, 2011

I think item #1 is so often ignored! I do make an effort to do this because it is a big deal. I’ll have to ask my husband what else would be on his list.

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      June 2, 2011

Yes! I can’t wait to hear about it!

3. JessieLeigh
    May 31, 2011

I love this post, Tara, and I love that it reveals how important it is that we each know our own husbands!  My guy couldn’t care less if there are toys strewn about, but he would be one sad dude if supper weren’t cooked.  🙂  I think it is fabulous that your guy loves candlelight- what a lovely way to make time together special… even if you’re just playing a video game!  Excellent list.

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      June 2, 2011

During December, we eat by candle light every single night. We light the Advent wreath candles before dinner, and Grace always turns the light off. It’s so special and fancy. 🙂 Love it.

4. GAHCindy
    May 31, 2011

You don’t cook dinner for him? I ask this out of complete ignorance: what do you people eat for dinner? We’d never eat if I didn’t do it!

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      May 31, 2011

Nope. Most of the time, he cooks while I wrangle children. We came to that arrangement a long time ago because he prefers cooking over wrangling, and I don’t care one way or the other.

5. The Prudent Homemaker
    May 31, 2011

We work to have everyone clean up before dinner. It really helps!

My husband dislikes candlelight immensly (he says that he likes to see what he is eating), so we skip that one at my house.

My husband has been working from home for many years; today is the first day that he left early again. He’s expecting some late nights, so I don’t know what our greetings will look like yet, but I know I’ll have a plate of food in the refrigerator waiting for him for whenever he gets home.

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      June 2, 2011

That is so kind! I’m hoping that I’ll be able to take over more of the cooking after Allie gets a little bigger. My girls are just. so. needy. right now.

6. SheilaGregoire
    May 31, 2011

Amen! Great list. I’d add one more: put on some lipstick and run a brush through your hair. Look like you want him to enjoy looking at  you! Like you took care in your appearance. The way we Say Hello is so important because it sets the stage for the whole evening, and lets the kids know how we value our spouses!

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      June 2, 2011

Yes, that’s right! Amy from The Finer Things in Life wrote a great post on this topic. She said something along the lines of this – “When I stay in my pajamas all day, I wouldn’t want to come home to me!” It really got me to thinking. I’ve gotten dressed and done my hair (to the extent that you “do” long curly hair) every day since.

Granted, it’s only been two days, but every good habit has to start somewhere, right? 🙂

7. Mandi @ Life…Your Way
    June 2, 2011

We had that exact same conversation when Sean was working outside the home. He asked that we simply acknowledge he was home and look — gasp — happy to see him! Kinda glad to know I’m not the only one!

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      June 2, 2011

Definitely not. I have read every one of your posts in this series, nodding my head. I think we’re living parallel lives or something. 😉

8. Jenna Pearson McLucas
    June 2, 2011

What a great reminder to SMILE! Thank you (and Joe)!  😉

9. Christine
    June 3, 2011

Amen!  Thanks for posting these important ideas.  We can’t let life get in the way of treating our husbands like the most important person in our lives.

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      June 3, 2011

I know! Most of the time, he treats me like the most important person in his life, but I don’t treat him that way. Rather than sitting around and worrying about it, I need to just do things differently.

This series has been really life changing for me. It’s not often that we sit down and think about how to treat our husbands better, you know?

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      June 3, 2011

10. Patricia Nyawir
    January 2, 2015

Thank you for promoting peace in our families.