14 responses

1. teachmama
    October 19, 2010

love, love love these ideas, Tara! We are huge avocado, mozzarella, and (gulp!) tube steak fans over here, and an egg slicer would do the slicing job!

Thank you!!

2. deb nole
    October 19, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this segment of your blog. I always leave feeling so uncreative.(That’s a compliment to how creative you are!!). =) How could I have been ignoring this handy tool in my drawer for so long, especially with young kids in the house?!?!

3. Aprildriggers
    October 19, 2010

You have the neatest ideas!

4. sarah
    October 19, 2010

oh!! My child like to eat the butter too. I never occurred to me to cut it up and let her do it . . . it grosses me out so it’s more her trying to outwit me to get some.

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2010

LOL! If it’s in thin slices, I can say, “You may have one piece of butter for your bread.” and then if she eats it, she eats it. It’s better than the sneaky kiddo trying to attack the stick of butter with her spoon. 🙂

5. Andrea Dekker
    October 19, 2010

Shoot, and I just got rid of my egg slicer b/c I never used it!

6. Kris @ WUHS
    October 19, 2010

I’ve thought about getting an egg slicer before, but I was afraid I wouldn’t use it enough. Now, I’m totally getting one! I love the idea for avocados. They’re my favorite salad topping, but one of the most time consuming to dice.

7. Legaleagle @ Gen X Moms Blog
    October 20, 2010

I ordered one at a Pampered Chef party this summer to use on strawberries but still haven’t gotten it from the host. I was bummin’ since strawbewrry season is over — but now I have a ton of other uses. Thanks!

8. Julie Bagamary
    October 21, 2010

Great more uses for my egg slicer = thanks. I just have been using it for eggs & strawberries!

9. Christi S
    October 26, 2010

Just in warning Do not use an egg slicer on portobella mushrooms (or baby bella). I would only use it on the white button (the normal ones that have been in the veggie section for 30+ years).

I totally messed up 2 egg slicers trying to slice baby bellas – the first one I thought was cheap but the second one was my pampered chef egg slicer.

• Tara @ Feels Like Home
      October 27, 2010

Really? I don’t think I’ve ever tried portobellos. Thanks for the tip!

10. ~M
    October 27, 2010

Do you have an egg slicer you recommend? I broke my last one on mushrooms (I think crimini/baby bellas, actually).

11. Allie
    February 1, 2016

I would be careful of slicing other items in an egg slicer. I broke my Kitchenaid egg slicer by trying to slice strawberries.

• Tara Ziegmont
      February 1, 2016

Really?! Was it defective? I’ve used mine for strawberries many times.