13 responses

1. vanderbiltwife
    October 26, 2010

I use my microplane grater for zesting, grating Parmesan, and grating ginger. I can’t deal with much ginger in my food so getting it down to tiny pieces is the only way I will eat it!

I try to grate my own cheese, too, because you’re right–it’s got SO much better flavor and melts better.

I have seen people melt down crayon odds and ends–grating the crayons might work for that!

Also, what about grating broccoli or cauliflower stems if you want to hide them in your meals? Oh yes, I have learned the woes of picky toddlerhood. 🙂

2. Tara @ Feels Like Home
    October 27, 2010

I thought about putting apples on the list, but I couldn’t think of anything I’d use grated apple for. What do you use it in?

3. Tara @ Feels Like Home
    October 27, 2010

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

4. Tara @ Feels Like Home
    October 27, 2010

Wow! $8 for 2 cups is a heck of a price! No wonder you grate your own!

5. Destri
    October 27, 2010

I was going to say apples dang it, but someone beat me to it 🙂

I use them in all sorts of stuff, my kids like it in the pancake mix believe it or not! Yummy!

Thanks so much for the mention last week, your a dear!

6. Gretchen
    October 27, 2010

I use it when I need soft (not melted) butter. If I don’t have any pre-softened I grab a stick from the freezer and grate it up.

7. Betsy (Eco-novice)
    October 27, 2010

A person after my own heart. I hate the anti-caking agent, whatever it is. I used to make this butternut squash ravioli with butter sage sauce and grated dark chocolate. Mmmmmm. TJ’s doesn’t sell the butternut squash ravioli anymore — so sad. You can also add a little oil/spray to the grater if the cheese is very soft/sticky. I think I learned that one from America’s Test Kitchen. I knew the freezer tip, but always forget to do it!

8. Growinggodlygirlz
    October 31, 2010

Great ideas! I LOVE cheese:)!!! Stopping by from http://growing3godlygirlz.blogspot.com/ and found you thru the sunday share on notimeforflashcards.com!

9. Tammy and Parker
    October 31, 2010

Let’s see……when making homemade laundry soap I’ve used my grater to grate the bar soap. 🙂

Tammy and Parker

10. Amber @ Classic Housewife
    October 31, 2010

Love this! You’re right, grating your own cheese is so much tastier. I’m prettier sure it’s cheaper, too, when figure it up.
    The most interesting this I have ever used mine for was bar soap, to make soap flakes. The most common thing I use it for is probably cheese.
    A tip for those fingers — if you can (such as carrots or zucchini), don’t cut that end off out of habit. Hold the root end of the vegetable and grate down to it then toss it. No more grated fingers. =)

11. GAHCindy
    October 31, 2010

You don’t like radishes! How sad! They’re in my top 10.

12. Heather
    January 14, 2016

Getting the smell of garlic, and most other smells, of your hands is easy. Just rub your hands on stainless steel under running water. (Often works with just wet hands too!)