A spur of the moment trip to our favorite local farm market and orchard caused us to bring home bushels and bushels of fresh fruits and vegetables.
As soon as we got home, we began eagerly preparing our bounty. Here’s what we’re making:
- Homemade apple butter
- Homemade peach butter
- Peach jam (following this basic homemade jam recipe)
- Homemade bread & butter pickles
- A peach crisp using my favorite apple crisp recipe, called Quick Apple Crisp
- Watermelon jam (following this basic homemade jam recipe)
- Watermelon rind preserves (this one is an experiment; we’ve never tried these before)
- Homemade spaghetti sauce (our second batch of the season!)
While a lot of bloggers are frolicking in New York City, we’re reveling in the smells of cooking fruits. Grace just announced that “our house smells scrumptious!”
Thinking about home preserving?
Try some of these resources:
- How to Can Anything from PickYourOwn.org
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Ball’s Fresh Preserving website
You should also check your local public library. Chance are good that they have books on home preserving. These are my favorites. I have all 4, and we consult them often during processing.
- Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
- Putting Food By
- The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest
- Ball Blue Book of Preserving
© 2010 – 2017, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.