12 responses

1. rydermakes3
    March 25, 2010

I've been cooking them wrong all along! I had no idea 🙂 Fun post! I love Easter, too.

2. Krista
    March 26, 2010

Wow! I'd been letting mine boil for about 10 minutes before taking them off the heat. Can't wait to try it this way – thanks for teaching us Tara 🙂

3. Krista
    March 26, 2010

Oh my gosh! That's exactly how I've always done it too – we must have had the same teacher 😉

4. FeelsLikeHomeBlog
    March 26, 2010

I know! Not only have I always boiled for 10 minutes, but I always left them in the water until it cooled. Probably an hour, maybe even more!

5. FeelsLikeHomeBlog
    March 26, 2010

Probably. Whoever that was, they were wrong! 🙂

6. Krista
    March 27, 2010

7. FeelsLikeHomeBlog
    March 27, 2010

8. FeelsLikeHomeBlog
    March 27, 2010

Probably. Whoever that was, they were wrong! 🙂

9. Jenny in Ca
    March 27, 2010

I have to admit I didn't know this! I usually start with cold water, put the eggs in and then cook for 20 minutes. I do cool them under cold water right away to make the shells come off easier. I will have to try this method and see how I like it.

thanks!

10. Blessedwithgrace
    March 28, 2010

Great and informative post! I read a similar explanation for how to boil an egg once before. They said the same thing! Take it off the heat and sit covered. Your instructions are even more informative. My problem – I start the eggs and then forget to take them off the burner when they start boiling. UGH! Too much going on and not paying attention.
    Happy Easter, my friend! I am thankful for your friendship.

11. Amy @ Finer Things
    March 30, 2010

Very interesting! I turn the burner off as soon as it starts boiling (if I remember!) but I leave them on the hot burner. Will try moving to another burner next time.

12. Rick Thomas
    May 7, 2020

There are other foods that can be cooked that way for example rice, an inch of cold water over the top and bring to a full boil put on saucepan lid and take off the heat and leave for 15 to 20 minutes it may need warming up a bit. Stews much the same in a heavy pot bring to full boil put on lid and allow it to slow cook, you also save a lot on your energy bill.