When Valentine's Day is over, what do you do with all of those little cards?
Last year, I'm pretty sure I put them in a ziploc bag in the pantry cupboard, and Joe eventually threw them in the trash. I imagine that's what happens to them in most homes.
I feel guilty about throwing them away. Somebody went out of their way to give them to us. Shouldn't we keep them?
I know, it doesn't make any sense.
This year, I decided to make them into magnets.
My idea began with Grace loving the Valentine cards she chose to give to her friends. We had more than twice the number we needed, so I set aside one of each design to make into magnets for her.
After Grace's class party, I swiped the cards from her teachers. Then I asked which cards were her favorites. She chose a few more.
After Grace went to bed, I gathered my supplies:
- Self adhesive magnets in a sheet (They were supposed to be self adhesive, but they weren't. I had to use adhesive, and I learned that tacky glue does not stick to the slightly glossy magnet backing.)
- The Valentine cards that Grace selected
Putting these magnets together was really simple.
- I laid the cards out like a puzzle to see how I could waste the least amount.
- I glued the cards down onto the magnet.
- I cut around the cards.
See the fairy magnet? That was one of Grace's cards! It was intended to be a paper doll (from one of her teachers), but it works just as well as a magnetic doll.
- I stuck the cards to the fridge while Grace was sleeping. She was really impressed by them in the morning when she found them.
I'm not sure what I'll do next year. I may cover these. I may get more magnet sheets.
Happily submitted to Tater Tots & Jello, Just Something I Whipped Up, Motivate Me Monday,Ã‚ It's So Very Creative, Make Your Monday, Makes My Monday, Make It For Monday, Made It Mondays, Metamorphosis Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Making the World Cuter Mondays, Made By You Mondays,Ã‚ Get Your Craft On Mondays, DIY Day, Strut Your Stuff Valentines, Talented Tuesday, Toot Your Horn Tuesday, Show & Tell, Works for Me Wednesday, Thursday's Treasures, Transformation Thursday, Creative Craft Thursday, Craftaholics Anonymous, Show Off Your Stuff, Get Your Craft On Thursdays, and Kid Friendly Friday
© 2010 – 2018, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.