Have you come to the realization yet that I love Thanksgiving, Dear Reader? I do. I adore it. I love to visit with my family, and I love to feed them a big meal that is so tasty everyone eats too much and has to relax in the living room before having room for dessert.
I’m Greek. Have you ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Toula’s mother in that movie lives to feed her family, and that’s how my Grandma is, and it’s how I am, too. I love to feed people. Are you doing anything on the 27th? Please, consider yourself invited to my house. I’ll have enough food for a couple dozen.
To this point, I have shared with you my recipes for dessert (Gourmet Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Topping, My Favorite Pecan Pie, and Cherry Pie) and some of my side dishes (Homemade Orange Cranberry Sauce and Green Bean Casserole). Today, I’m sharing my Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes and Candied Sweet Potatoes recipes, and that rounds out my Thanksgiving spread. The last thing I make is a bag of carrots. I steam them in the microwave, and everyone mixes the plain carrots with the wonderfully sweet sauce from the Candied Sweet Potatoes.
We do eat stuffing, but my father-in-law has always made his special chestnut stuffing. I don’t have the recipe, but since he and my mother-in-law are not coming this year, I am going to have to find one of my own.
We have turkey, too, of course, but that is entirely Joe’s opperation. He will wake up early on Thanksgiving Day to prep the turkey and start it roasting in the oven. Aside from that,
Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz sour cream
- 5 oz evaporated milk (1 small can)
- 1 small onion, diced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Milk & butter
- Add potatoes to a large pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- In the meantime, saute onion in a small skillet until onion is translucent. If you skip this step, the onions will be crunchy in your finished potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, evaporated milk, onion, salt, and pepper until blended. Add to mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Transfer mashed potato mixture to the crock pot. We use a 6-quart crock pot, and the potatoes totally fill it.
- Can be cooked on low up to 4 hours. Re-moisten with milk and butter if needed.
Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Cinnamon plus spice blend or pumpkin pie spice, to taste
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- The night before your meal, clean, peel, and chunk the sweet potatoes. I like to leave mine in bigger-than-bite-sized chunks. Place in a large baking dish. Use a dish big enough that the potatoes are mostly in a single layer.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and orange juice in a mixing bowl. Pour over potatoes. Top with a handful of marshmallows, which will melt into the sauce.
- Cover and microwave for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender. Allow to cool and refrigerate until it’s time to serve.To serve:
- Top with remaining marshmallows and bake at 375 for twenty minutes, until the potatoes are hot and marshmallows are just toasted.
© 2008 – 2017, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.